|Title:||Hardware Design Engineer|
General Micro Systems, Inc. has been an innovator in embedded system technology since 1979 encompassing all phases of the design and manufacture of Single Board Computers and Systems. GMS products are used around the globe in diverse industries such as aerospace, defense, medical instrumentation, industrial control, robotics, telecommunications and semiconductor manufacturing.
With an unparalleled commitment to modern technology, GMS has earned the highest level of respect from our customers, the media and even the competition. GMS has been recognized by the media for our innovation and we have received more ‘Product of the Year’ awards than all of our competitors combined.
We are proud of our professional staff, with members that have been called “the most dedicated to its customers and vendors in the industry.”
Please visit our website at www.gms4sbc.com to learn more about General Micro Systems, Inc.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package
A self-motivated senior engineer that is a direct contributor with demonstrated success in developing hardware products from design phase through field sustaining phase. Responsibilities encompass circuit design and analysis using design tools, directing PCB layout, prototype verification using lab instrumentation and PC-based development tools, supporting manufacturing introduction and sustaining. Must be able to work in a team environment with manufacturing and various engineering disciplines including System, Software, and Mechanical by performing the following duties.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create hardware design solutions such as digital circuit design, firmware applications, microprocessor-based board level design, printed circuit board layout, motherboard design, digital signal processing, and/or real time embedded multiprocessor design.
- Researching, developing, designing, and testing of electrical components, equipment, and systems, applying principles and techniques of electrical engineering
- Oversee engineering life cycle of hardware products including architecture, design, and implementation
- Confer with product marketing on writing of functional specifications
- Design product solutions and features using hardware description languages, CAD tools, and other tools as necessary
- Manage all schematic entry
- Responsible for printed circuit board designs, and oversees printed circuit board designs on a project-by-project basis
- Maintain relationships with vendors and specifies necessary parts
- Make modifications to product lines as necessary
- Work closely with quality assurance in identifying bugs and building fixes
- Measure project percentage completion at critical stages and implements corrective action as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Display a depth of knowledge across multiple technical areas including current knowledge of existing and emerging technologies
- Must be detail oriented and balance multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Must possess the ability to successfully plan, prioritize and organize work activities and adhere to strict deadlines follow instructions, procedures, and policies; identify and solve problems
- Must be conscientious about assignments and complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner
- Require minimal supervision to successfully complete tasks and assignments
- Must demonstrate initiative and ownership of assignments/projects
- Must report to work at scheduled time and maintain satisfactory attendance with limited unscheduled absences
- Must exhibit a professional appearance and behavior and maintain satisfactory performance consistent with expectations of the position and GMS policies
- Requires excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing with executives, colleagues and individuals, internal or external
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, able to effectively interact with all levels of employees and management
- Must remain poised, professional and diplomatic under pressure
- Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Must possess the ability and desire to encourage and facilitate a positive and productive work environment for all employees
- Limited travel required
Education and Experience
- Masters Degree in Engineering preferred or minimum BSEE with 8+ years of design experience
- Experience with full life cycle development from proof of concept through manufacturing, including digital and analog hardware design, implementation, test and documentation is required
- Experience in FPGA Design
- Intel architecture based computer design, including Core i7 and/or Xeon technologies
- High speed digital design, including PCI Express Gen 2/3, USB 3, DDR3/DDR4
- Experience managing the printed circuit board design process, in particular for high speed digital interfaces
- Switching regulator design
- Thermal management of electronics in a conduction cooled environment
- FPGA design, including VHDL and Xilinx FPGA
- Project Management, including schedule and budget
Ability to effectively write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, vendors, customers and employees in writing and verbally.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts and to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: sit, talk, hear, stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, reach above shoulder level, and lift up to 30 lbs. with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle, feel or type and utilize a telephone, copier, printer, computer, calculator, mouse, keyboard and monitor to perform daily duties. The employee regularly engages in personal interaction with company personnel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus and utilize a computer monitor under florescent lighting and/or daylight where applicable.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will occasionally be required to conduct work in the engineering lab
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk up and down one flight of stairs and approximately 1 block from building to building
Must be a US Citizen, Permanent US Resident, or currently authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis without future employment sponsorship.
General Micro Systems, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: GMS is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at GMS are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. GMS will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. GMS encourages applicants of all ages.
General Micro Systems, Inc. does not use any outside recruiting firms in our talent acquisition process; therefore, recruiters need not contact. Any questions, concerns, or correspondence need be directed to Justin Peck, HR, General Micro Systems, Inc.