What are we looking for?
- 8+ years of experience in mechanical design related to electronics products and systems
- Proficiency with SolidWorks
- Project Management
Who is GMS?
General Micro Systems, Inc. has been an innovator in embedded system technology since 1979 encompassing all phases of the design and manufacture of Single Board Computers and Systems. GMS products are used around the globe in diverse industries such as aerospace, defense, medical instrumentation, industrial control, robotics, telecommunications and semiconductor manufacturing.
With an unparalleled commitment to modern technology, GMS has earned the highest level of respect from our customers, the media and even the competition. GMS has been recognized by the media for our innovation and we have received more ‘Product of the Year’ awards than all of our competitors combined.
We are proud of our professional staff, with members that have been called “the most dedicated to its customers and vendors in the industry.”
Please visit our website at www.gms4sbc.com to learn more about General Micro Systems, Inc.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package
Mechanical design and development of electronic systems for the embedded computing market.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design involvement will range from concept to product realization using 3-D solid modeling software (SolidWorks & EPDM)
- Participate in conceptual and preliminary design including form factor, mechanical, electronic integration, cabling, etc.
- Create conceptual design of electrical interfaces, mechanical and thermal elements of system
- Support mechanical and thermal design, including providing conceptual design (mechanical and thermal), interface to mechanical engineering and mechanical designers, definition of mechanical drawings, review of mechanical drawings, mechanical conformance verification, mechanical fit check
- Document system design: Support generation of mechanical design documentation, user's manuals, assembly procedures, test procedures, configuration management documentation
- Responsibilities will include mechanical design of machined metal parts, sheet metal components, and molded plastic parts
- Position requires development of specifications from customer requirements, coordination with the electronics design team, interfacing with vendors and CMs for prototyping, generation of documentation such as exploded assembly drawings, bills-of- materials, and engineering analysis, coordination with the production organization relative to design for cost and manufacturability, and project management for the mechanical aspects of the projects
- Provide direct support to production in training and advisory role
- Provide support for customer issues, including direct technical support
- Support formal reviews (internal and customer). In particular, customer PDR and CDR reviews
- Generate review documentation and presentations and attend meetings
- Support for production documentation, such as test procedures and assembly instructions
- Position also requires support for mechanical related product validation testing, including thermal, shock, vibration, regulatory compliance on MIL Standards and safety
- Other design aspects include material selection, tolerance analysis, thermal solution design, implementation of human interface elements such keypads and buttons, and development of wiring harnesses
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must work efficiently in a co-development environment with tight, customer driven development schedules
- Must be detail oriented and balance multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Must possess the ability to successfully plan, prioritize and organize work activities and adhere to strict deadlines follow instructions, procedures, and policies; identify and solve problems
- Must be conscientious about assignments and complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner
- Require minimal supervision to successfully complete tasks and assignments
- Must demonstrate initiative and ownership of assignments/projects
- Must report to work at scheduled time and maintain satisfactory attendance with limited unscheduled absences
- Must exhibit a professional appearance and behavior and maintain satisfactory performance consistent with expectations of the position and GMS policies
- Requires excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing with executives, colleagues and individuals, internal or external
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, able to effectively interact with all levels of employees and management
- Must remain poised, professional and diplomatic under pressure
- Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Must possess the ability and desire to encourage and facilitate a positive and productive work environment for all employees
- Must be able to work the standard 8AM-5PM, Monday – Friday schedule and additional hours as necessary
- Limited travel required
Education and Experience
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME)
- Working knowledge of FEA for structural and thermal aspects of electronic enclosure design is preferred
- Related Course work/Classes:
- Heat Transfer
- Fluid Mechanics
- Strength of Materials
- Mechanic of materials (Strength of Materials)
- Energy Systems
- System Dynamics
- Machine Design
- Electrical Engineering Course
- Thermal Design Systems
- 8+ years of experience in mechanical design related to electronics products and systems, and a proven track record on products development from concept through release to production
- Proficiency with SolidWorks: Minimum of 5 year of professional experience required
- Proficiency with EPDM (Enterprise Product Data Management); Minimum of 3-4 year of professional experience required
- Must have taken or plan on taking Engineering — in —Training (State Exam) — Must show proof
- Working knowledge of the analysis and design process for addressing thermal, shock, and vibration aspects of electronics equipment is necessary
- Working knowledge of low-volume manufacturing techniques for custom sheet- metal, machined and molded components is preferred
- Project Management, including schedule and budget
Ability to effectively write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, vendors, customers and employees in writing and verbally.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts and to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: sit, talk, hear, stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, reach above shoulder level, and lift up to 30 lbs. with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle, feel or type and utilize a telephone, copier, printer, computer, calculator, mouse, keyboard and monitor to perform daily duties. The employee regularly engages in personal interaction with company personnel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus and utilize a computer monitor under florescent lighting and/or daylight where applicable.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will occasionally be required to conduct work in the engineering lab
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk up and down one flight of stairs and approximately 1 block from building to building
Must be a US Citizen, Permanent US Resident, or currently authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis without current or future employment sponsorship. (In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire)
General Micro Systems, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: GMS is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at GMS are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. GMS will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. GMS encourages applicants of all ages.
General Micro Systems, Inc. does not use any outside recruiting firms in our talent acquisition process; therefore, recruiters need not contact. Any questions, concerns, or correspondence need be directed to Justin Peck, HR, General Micro Systems, Inc.